Iran attacked Israel last night and fired 20 missiles at the Israeli Golan Heights. In response, Israel employed the Iron Dome missile system and shot them all down in the sky before the Iranian rockets landed and did any damage to Israel. In addition, Israel launched a massive military strike against Iranian targets in Syria. The IDF destroyed most of the military infrastructure that the Iranians have developed there. As a result, the Iranian military program in Syria has now been pushed back for months.
Iron Dome in Action
This is what it sounded like for the Israeli residents of the Golan Heights.
Sirens and explosions. Stay safe! pic.twitter.com/lvTX2wRDCc
— أماني 🇸🇨 (@Amani90__) May 9, 2018
Last night, Israeli citizens of the Golan Heights heard air raid sirens and had to rush to their bomb shelters. The IDF recognized 20 Iranian rockets that were shot from Syrian territory and shot them all down with the Iron Dome system. No IDF personnel or Israeli citizens were injured.
The IDF’s Iron Dome aerial defense system intercepted a number of rockets. No injuries were reported. The IDF views this event with great severity and remains prepared for a wide variety of scenarios.
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) May 9, 2018
Rest of Israel
With all this going on, the rest of Israel is living life normally and enjoying life. Israel is not looking to fight a war. However, if any enemy tries to attack us, we will defend ourselves.
In response, Israel launched a massive attack against the Iranian military infrastructure in Syria.
Overnight, IDF fighter jets struck dozens of military targets belonging to the Iranian Quds forces in Syrian territory pic.twitter.com/LwBJTMkxYR
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) May 10, 2018
This Iranian aggression is another proof of the intentions behind the establishment of the Iranian regime in Syria and the threat it poses to Israel and regional stability.
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) May 10, 2018
The IDF will not allow the Iranian threat to establish itself in Syria. Everything that happens in Syrian territory is the responsibility of the Syrian regime. The Israeli Army will deal with any Iranian attacks from Syrian territory in the future in a similar fashion.
Israel’s counterattack on Iranian installations in Syria is possible for several reasons. The tight relationship Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu has with Russian Premier Vladimir Putin is an essential element. The attack was coordinated in advance with Putin. This was in order that Russian air defense forces in Syria would refrain from interfering with Israel’s counter-attack.
The IDF has struck dozens of Iranian military targets in Syria in response to the Iranian rockets attack against Israel. The Quds force is behind the attack and has payed the initial price. But the IDF remains ready for various scenarios, but does not seek to escalate the situation. pic.twitter.com/4rC8gHK2LG
— Jonathan Conricus (@LTCJonathan) May 10, 2018
Official IDF Spokesman Response to the Iranian attack
1. During the night of May 9-10, the Iranian Quds forces launched 20 Iranian rockets from Syrian territory. The rockets were fired towards IDF forward posts in Israel on the Golan Heights. The Iron Dome defense system intercepted a number of the rockets. Thank G-d, no one was injured.
2. In response, IDF fighter jets struck dozens of military targets belonging to the Iranian Quds forces. In addition, the Israeli Army hit multiple military sites of the Iranian establishment situated in Syrian territory.
Iranian installations the IDF Hit
• Iranian intelligence sites associated with Iran and the Radical Axis
• A logistics headquarters that belongs to the Quds forces
• A military logistics compound that is in Al-Kiswah
• An Iranian military compound that is in Syria, north of Damascus
• Munition storage warehouses of the Quds forces at the Damascus International Airport
• Intelligence systems and posts associated with the Quds forces
• Observation and military posts and a munition in the buffer zone
In addition, the IAF targeted and destroyed several aerial interception systems of the Syrian Armed Forces. These were anti-aircraft launching batteries that the Iranians used to fire at IAF aircraft.
3. This Iranian aggression is yet another proof of the intentions behind the build-up of Iranian forces in Syria. These forces pose a great threat to Israel and regional stability.
4. In recent months, Iran has been transferring advanced weaponry into Syria in order to strike against Israel. The weaponry includes attack drones, ground-to-ground missiles, and Iranian anti-aircraft systems.
5. Israel is not looking for an escalation. But in no circumstances will Israel allow Iran to establish a military presence in Syria. The entire purpose of Iran’s presence is to attack Israel. They want to deteriorate an already fragile situation in the region.
6. Israel will use all legitimate measures at its disposal to repel the threat against its security and the safety of its citizens.
7. Israel will protect its sovereignty with firm determination against all threats and provocations from Iran.
8. The IDF decided to maintain civilian routine, and to conduct school and agricultural work as usual. The Home Front Command will send updates as required.